Saturday 11 May 2019

Severn Valley Baits Partnership


After a few conversations with Adam Sheriff at his tackle shop just outside Bewdley, I'm delighted to announce that Severn Valley Barbel Products are now supporting my blog!

I've been using Severn Valley bait for the best part of a decade now. I first heard about their dominant flavour, Ambush, speaking to some of the anglers who frequently fish the middle-Severn. The initial feedback was that it 'stinks to high heaven' and barbel love it. A quick visit to the tackle shop at Bewdley confirmed the feedback as a heady waft of pickled onion monster munch nearly knocked me off my feet on stepping through the door. Christ. From that moment on, the rest of this story would be a long potted history of my barbel catches. I've used Ambush as my go-to bait for barbel ever since and they've caught me barbel all over the country.

Ambush is by now nothing short of legendary on the middle-Severn and the barbel have certainly seen plenty of it. Familiarity certainly doesn't seem to put the barbel off as I catch as effectively on the Severn still as I do anywhere else. The strong scent of Ambush gives it great pulling power in summer and winter alike and my own experience tells me that barbel lock onto it quickly and confidently.

Since I started the blog I've always maintained that I would only consider recommending products where I sincerely believed in them. It is that reason why I am so delighted to have partnered with Severn Valley and it feels like a very natural fit.

For those of you not aware, the bait is supplied as: 'Hooker' pellets in 8 mm, 10 mm, 14 mm and 16 mm; feed pellets in 3 mm, 4 mm and 6 mm; boilie dumbells; groundbait; a quick-melting paste; and Tardip glug and booster. The flavors are Ambush (think pickled-onion monster munch and roasted garlic); Severn Berry, Lamprey Juice, Spicy Frankfurter and Krill-it.

The Severn Valley Bait Range

My top tips...
(1) Go Ambush for barbel. Every time. Keep a few of the other flavors as a change bait - the hookers will happily last for a couple of years and seem to retain their strong scent. I top up on ambush regularly, but a few tubs of change baits last me the whole season.
(2) 6 mm and 8 mm pellets are great for big roach. Whether it's because they look like hemp or because the fish are used to picking up the loose offerings that get washed downstream in the flow, big roach are definitely honed onto small halibut pellets these days. I'll be breaking out the Severn Berry 8 mm's after the silvers early in the new season!
(3) Boost bland fishery pellets or cheap particle mixes with Tardip liquid booster. Just pour in a tablespoon as you soak your pellets in water and they'll have far more pulling power than even the smelliest premium pellets.
(4) They're not just for Barbel! I've caught loads of chub, roach and carp on these baits. Severn Berry is my personal choice for carp and roach and Krill- it for chub, but in truth they all seem to work.

I only have one word of caution. Find somewhere outside of your house to store it. A shed. A garden bin. Bury it down the back of the garden. Just don't keep it in your house. Pure and simple the stuff honks. Don't get me wrong, it's not an unpleasant smell in itself, I just like to have boundaries between the smell of my fishing bait and the rest of my life and world.

For anyone interested in giving the bait a try, I'd recommend starting out with a tub of 14 mm Ambush Hookers and a matching tub of paste. All of the Severn Valley Bait Range can be bought at Bewdley Tackle and Leisure or at Adam' online store, here: http://svbp.co.uk/

I'm looking forward to working with Adam to spread the word and field test new baits as they're developed!

Tardip boosted particle - great for short-session margin carping

No comments:

Post a Comment