Wednesday 15 May 2019

60 Second Blog Roll - Wet Weather Carping

Changeable Conditions!

Brew-on! First outing for the Kelly Kettle!
Welcome to the second in a series of posts designed to be a quick read, generally an update on days on the bank that don't warrant a full article... 

With a week’s annual leave I recently made it out to a couple of local fisheries to attempt to close out a couple of targets. The first of these trips was on a rain and windswept Wednesday. Being the only person on the fishery had its advantages and disadvantages… I had a choice of pegs but was heavily targeted by swans limiting my potential to introduce bait into the margins and the fishery informed me it would be closing three hours early at 4 pm. Given the weather I set up beneath my brolly in a sheltered spot and was thankful for my Kelly Kettle to provide the occasional warming brew!

I had a productive morning targeting bream on the method feeder and once the swans moved off to the other half of the lake I managed to set-about finding the big carp with a few hours to go.


Tardip-boosted fishery pellet
Baiting the margins with fishery pellet soaked and boosted with Severn Valley Barbel Products Tardip, I didn’t have to wait long for the carp to descend upon it. I set up two margin approaches – the pole for when I was sheltering from the elements beneath my brolly in a fixed peg and then Torrix and ‘pin for roving. Hookbait was Severn Valley Barbel Products paste, in Severn Berry, on a Size 10 Guru QM1 hook. I always fish dead depth when margin fishing and saw no reason to make an exception 

The first fish was a pretty fish of only about 6lb, but the larger fish obliged thereafter. There was no sign of the elusive twenty I was hoping for, but with a couple of fish of 16 lb+ I wasn’t a million miles away. I’ve included the best of the bunch below, together with a picture of the weather!

Howling wind and driving rain! 


14 lb 06 oz
16 lb 08 oz
16 lb 04 oz
14 lb 10 oz.


No comments:

Post a Comment